Q-tips just scream “useful,” but for what, exactly? Here’s 10 life-chaning ways to use the cotton swabs for things other than to clean out your ears:
1. Spray the ends of a few cotton swabs with your favorite perfume, and put them in a plastic sandwich bag for touchups throughout the day.
I’ll admit — even I carry a full perfume bottle (although mini sized) in my purse. It takes up so much room though, which could be saved for other things! Putting perfume on cotton swabs not only saves room, but allows you to switch up your daily perfume so much easier. Rather than stashing a handful of different, mini perfume bottles, all you need is a baggy!
2. Outline your lips with translucent powder using a q-tip to prevent your bold lip color from bleeding outside of your lip line.
Nobody likes a messy lip line! Dipping the cotton in translucent powder and sweeping it around the perimeter of your mouth keeps the line between your lips and face precise. The powder actually creates a barrier around your lips and prevents the color from bleeding.
3. Touch up your roots with a q-tip dipped in eyeshadow.
Need a quick root coverup? Swipe a cotton swab over an eyeshadow that matches your hair color, and run it over your roots to camouflage any regrowth!
4. Clean the lint out of your hair dryer vent with a cotton swab.
You know that pesky little grate on the back of your hairdryer? Keeping it clean will ensure that your hair dryer is working at its full capacity 100% of the time. Clean it out with a cotton swab to remove and lint that may be blocking the back of your dryer.
5. Use a q-tip to buff out the self-tanner in spots that are prone to darken .
If you’re a self-tanner, you may have noticed that areas like your knees, knuckles and the back of your ankles soak up a little more lotion than they need to, making you a little too dark. To fix that problem, just wipe away any excess product before it has a chance to set in using a clean cotton swab!
6. Fix a stuck zipper by rubbing shampoo on the area with a q-tip
Dip one end of the cotton in a little bit of shampoo, and rub the end along the zipper where it is stuck. The shampoo works as a lubricant and loosens the jammed zipper!
7. Easily get rid of a pimple with two q-tips and hot water
For a pimple that has come to a head — take a hot shower, and while your skin’s pours are extra open, use two cotton swabs to gently press them against the zit towards each other. Don’t force it though! It will come out when it’s ready.
8. Dip two q-tips in eye cream, freeze them, and use them under your eyes in the morning to help deflate puffy under-eye bags.
First, make sure your eye cream contains caffeine, which will help tighten your skin, and cucumber, which will help calm puffiness. Then, dip the ends of the q-tips into the cream and stick them in a sandwich bag and in the freezer for the night. In the morning, you’ll be able to use them under your eyes to reduce any puffiness! Starting from the inner corners or your eyes, apply pressure going outwards as you slowly glide the cotton swabs toward your ears.
9. Dip the ends of a few q-tips in your favorite eyeshadows to save room while packing.
If you’re going on a short trip and don’t have much baggage room, roll the ends in the cotton in a few different eyeshadow shades. They’ll be covered in the product and will create the most perfect mini eyeshadow applicators!
10. Use a q-tip to define your contouring lines.
To really determine where you should be defining your cheekbones with bronzer, line up a cotton swab right below the bone. Then, just trace the lines of the q-tip and blend the bronzer! Voila!